> > > Important Information < < < 

 

******************************************************************

 

Check out before and after aerial views of Town Beach:


Before the sand was placed 

 

After the sand was placed

 

3D view after placement

******************************************************************

 

Beach Update Summary 11/17/15

 

Beach Renourishment Plan (April 2014) 

 

Beach Management Plan (adopted 8/8/13) (Allow time for pages to load)

****************************************************************** 

 

Contact your legislator for help with the beach!!!!

 

Click here for names and email addresses

****************************************************************** 

 

August 12, 2013 PDF  | Print |
2013

Trustees of Sandwich Beaches 

Steering Committee Meeting Minutes 

Held August 12, 2013 at the Chew restaurant 

 

Attending: 

Bev Hand, Lindsey Beach, Bruce Wiksten , Elaine Tammi, Arthur Doyle, Cecily Denson, Irene Davis, Bill Boles, Annette DiMascio, Richard Pratt, Laura Wing, Debra Davies       

 

Mission Statement: 

 “To promote the restoration of our beaches, dunes, and salt marsh, and the protection of them from further erosion in order to preserve the natural beauty of our shoreline and historic town, districts, and boardwalk; to promote a balance of public access to the beaches and the conservation of their natural habitat; to ensure the long term stabilization of our beaches so they can be enjoyed for generations to come.” 

 

Motion to approve the minutes from July with 2 changes by Bruce Wiksten: 

  • Remove reference to $1.00 donation 
  • Spell Elaine Tammi name correctly 

Motion Seconded and Approved with changes.

 
Beach Management Plan: 

  • The Beach Management Plan presented at the selectmen‟s meeting by Kirk Bosma of the Woods Hole group was not a Beach Replenishment Plan. The replenishment plan will be presented in 2 or 3 months at the selectmen‟s meeting as part of the overall Environmental Impact Report. 
    • The first 45 pages of the Beach Management Plan deal with how to organize responsibilities for managing our beaches.  
    • The last 15 pages are the most relevant to us. 
  • Partial list of points made: 
    • Ponds are fine 
    • Ocean beaches are not fine 
    • 80% of prioritized items on the list are not currently being done. 
    • We need to lock existing gates to keep vandalism down. 
    • We could collect money at Hemisphere‟s for parking and using the beach. 
    • We need a Coastal Resource Planner position in town. 
    • We need a Citizen‟s Advisory Committee 
  • Irene emailed Bud Dunham suggesting there be a public forum on the Beach Management Plan 
  • The town could increase price for a pass to the beach if the beach were updated. 

General Discussion

  • We would like to divert as much money as possible to beach restoration. We are interested in asking for half of the meals tax that was just passed at town meeting. Tourists come to Sandwich to enjoy the beaches and it only makes sense that money they give us be used to maintain them. 
  • The town received money from the storm ‘Irene recently. We do not know how much or what it is being used for. 
  • We should put a summary of beach revenues on our website. This includes: 
    • Real estate
    • Tourist income has calculated by the Chamber of
  • Ideas for new shows to air on Sandwich TV
    • Interview Paula Johnston on the importance of the beach to
    • Talk to the Army Corp of
    • Discuss options available for placement of sand on the

 

Old Business: 

 

  • We have $4000 in the bank. 
  • Website updates 
    • Woman from New Jersey does website design and will help us on Sunday. 
    • The Vision poster will be uploaded to the website by David Hassler 
  • Bev Hand will send out a reminder of the next TSB meeting and if a speaker is coming mid-month so people can plan to attend.  We will also get the minutes out sooner. 
  • We have created a government relations committee. 
    • Members are Arthur, Darrell, Sharon, and Irene. 
    • They plan to contact Tom Kahir, a former legislator and is now involved with regional transportation.  They may be a voice in favor of beach replenishment because the storm water was very close to the rails. 
    • Sharon will find out where the democrats and republicans stand on beach renourishment. 
    • Arthur wants a list of attendees of the closed meeting held with town officials, political representatives and the Army Corp of Engineers. 
  • We are working on a petition. 
    • We also need to get brochures out and around town. 
    • People need to volunteer to stand out in front of Stop and Shop to get signatures. 

 

New Business 

 

  • Dory Crane will take responsibility for the t-shirts.
  • Events we should get involved with are:
    • Sandwich Craft Fair – Nov/Dec time frame
    • Glass Museum event Sept 8/9
      • Richard Pratt will check this out
  • We need another forum in the Fall or Spring on Beach Erosion. 
  • We need to get a warrant on the full town meeting list to ask for 50% of the meals tax money. 
    • Is there a full town meeting this fall? 
  • Arthur will do some research on the impact of the Flood Insurance Study and the new zoning that is a result of it. 

 

Closing Comments: 

Action Items: 

  • We should put a summary of beach revenues on our website. This includes: 
    • Real estate taxes 
    • Tourist income has calculated by the Chamber of Commerce  
  • We need another forum in the Fall or Spring on Beach Erosion. 
  • We need to get a warrant on the full town meeting list to ask for 50% of the meals tax money. 
    • Is there a full town meeting this fall? 
  • Arthur will do some research on the impact of the Flood Insurance Study and the new zoning that is a result of it. 
  • We need to find an advocate for our beaches and look into hiring a Coastal Resource manager or beach supervisor. 
  • Someone to follow up on improving the parking lot at the beach 
  • Website updates: 
    • Add the meeting agenda 
    • Add the meeting minutes 
  • Contact the State Office of Coastal Management. 
  • Contact Jim Mahala of the Department of Environment Protection for information.  He
  • Contact Rebecca Haney of the Coastal Zone Management (CZM). 
  • Contact Bruce Tarr who is very close to the Plum Island replenishment projects. 

 

Next Meeting September 9 at the Chew Restaurant from 6:30 to 8:30. 

 

 

 

Motion made and seconded to adjourn the meeting. 

 

Corrections, comments and fill-ins are welcome 

 

Respectfully submitted:   Laura Wing (Clerk)  email:  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Meetings & Events


Come and join us at the following meetings and events to help promote and protect our beaches!

 

Next TSB Meeting:

*** Monday November 12th, 2018

6:30 pm

 

At Cafe Chew

(**Second Monday of the month) 

Meeting Minutes



Become a Member! Donate!

Suggested Membership/Donation Levels
Home Meeting Minutes 2013